Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Year of Living Authentically

Inspired by my experiences of yoga, shamanic practice, Wiccan ritual, and Christian belief, as well as A. J. Jacobs' The Year of Living Biblically,. My version will have somewhat less Bible--less of anything most people would recognize, actually--and mostly just a whole lot of direct, unmediated contact with the Divine (or what I believe is the Divine).

I am going to take an entire year of my life and use it as a sacred container, a sacred space of sorts--in which I will follow my own soul's calling with 100% authenticity--and you, dear reader, get to learn from my mistakes experience.

Now this "living authentically" business may not sound particularly difficult or impressive, however, anyone who has actually tried it--in this world--for any length of time will attest to the challenges (and opportunities) it entails. What happens, say, when your desire to do the work you love causes a 50% pay cut (and you're already in debt), or when your longing to worship in your own way gets you booted out of your marriage because you can't relate to your spouse anymore? (I can answer the second question from experience--you spend a year and a half in the pit of despair. While you're there, though, you begin to discover who you really are, make countless connections with new allies, and finally come out a new person.)

Can't say exactly when the year will officially begin, but the project begins now, in this moment. (Actually, it began in a moment several hours ago today. I conceived the idea while I stood in an empty call center, throwing the remnants of a hundred people's hopes into the recycling bin.)

Now, to retire. I must spend some time speaking with the Man Upstairs to receive direction on exactly how to manifest this intention.

No comments:

Post a Comment